I admit it has been a while since I have posted here.
But that is because I have been learning. About one of my favorite things. Besides wine.
Naturally, I have made maps about wine too. (It is almost like you can hear one of my teens complaining)
So over the next couple of weeks expect to see maps of the American Viticultural Areas made with ArcMap.
I am starting today with the Alexander Valley. First some quick facts:
- Settled: 1840 by Cyrus Alexander. Property was part of Henry D. Fitch and Josefa Carrillo Fitch’s Rancho Sotoyome. Alexander was granted two leagues of property as a reward for managing the Rancho for the Fitch Family
- Established: October 24, 1984
- Location: Sonoma County, California
- Size: 32,536 acres; 15,000 acres under vine
- Wineries: 45 – including Clos du Bois, Francis Ford Coppola, Geyser Peak, Jordan (a friend of the blog!), Kendall-Jackson, Murphy Goode, Silver Oak and many more!
- Elevation: 128-2573 feet above sea level.
- Grape Varieties Produced: Barbera, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignane, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Grenache, Malbec, Merlot, Muscat Canelli, Petit Verdot, Petite Sirah, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Sangiovese, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon Syrah, Tempranillo, Viognier, Zinfandel
by Gretchen Miller Neuman